After much anticipation (and speculation on the forums), Ableton has announced Live 7. Along with Live 7 Ableton announced new add-instruments that integrate with Live. The release date is before the end of 2007".
After spending about 30 minutes on their site (it’s actually a fair amount of information to "get your mind around"), I decided to post a brief list of what’s new with some links so you could read more.
I’ll dig deeper into what appears to be a fantastic release in upcoming posts.
What’s New in Ableton Live 7
- REX support
- New Drum Rack (this looks fantastic!). The slicing feature fills a Drum Rack with the individual hits from REX or audio loops. The original sequence is represented as a MIDI clip, making it easy to replace, reshuffle or re-record the events and process them individually.
- Time signature changes in arrangement and scenes view
- Automation lanes can be with reordering via drag and drop
- Tempo nudge
- Enhanced audio engine
- New compressor
- Video export
- Device High-Quality modes
- EQ Eight—new and improved
- Spectrum device analyzer
- Improved MIDI timing
- Easy hardware integration (External Instrument device handles MIDI and audio routing and can be used to streamline the routing of hardware synths…External Audio Effect device routes audio to and from user-specified ports of your audio hardware…).
New Ableton Live Instruments
Ableton has partnered with various companies to integrate these new instrument right inside the Ableton work flow making these instruments something to consider even if you have some of these bases covered.
- Tension is a physical modeling string synthesizer that allows you to create incredibly accurate reproductions of real instruments or design otherworldly hybrids.
- Analog emulates the unique circuitry and irresistible tweak ability of vintage analog synthesizers. Able to produce everything from silky pad sweeps to earth-shaking bass.
- Session Drums is a meticulously multi sampled library of acoustic drums that reproduces the nuances of a recording session and puts you in the engineer’s seat.
- Drum Machines offers a choice selection of classic drum machines, meticulously sampled to faithfully reproduce the original sounds.
- Essential Instrument Collection 2—a choice selection of acoustic and electric pianos, guitars, bass, drums, orchestral instruments and more. Version 2 adds acoustic and electronic drums as well as presets optimized for better sound quality and faster loading.
- Orchestral Strings-a comprehensive selection of naturally rich and dynamic stringed instruments. Features solo and ensemble violin, viola, cello and double bass, all recorded in their natural positions within the orchestra, complete with a number of articulations.
- Orchestral Brass is a thorough set of vivid and colorful brass instruments. Features solo and ensemble French horn, trombone, trumpet and tuba, with a unique set of articulations in multiple section sizes.
- Orchestral Woodwinds delivers a variety of clear and vibrant wind instruments. Features solo and ensemble flute, clarinet, bassoon, oboe and English horn with a broad selection of articulations.
- Orchestral Percussion captures the true essence of symphonic percussion instruments in pristine quality. Features vibraphone, marimba, xylophone, cradles, glockenspiel, tubular bells, cymbals and timpani with a variety of articulations.
Ableton Suite combines Ableton Live 7 with Ableton instruments in a comprehensive bundle at a great discount. The download version of Ableton Suite includes Live 7, Sampler, Operator, Electric, Analog, Tension and Drum Machines. The boxed version of Ableton Suite additionally includes the Essential Instrument Collection 2 and Session Drums.
- Live 7 Announcement – http://www.ableton.com/live-7-announcement
- What’s New in Live 7 – http://www.ableton.com/live-7-whats-new
- Live 7 Upgrade Pricing (you must login to your account) –
Ableton Live Ableton Live 7 Ableton Live 7 Announced Ableton Suite analog drum machines EIC 2 EIC2 Essential Instrument Colleciton 2 live 7 Live 7 Rex support Live Drum Rack Live sidechaining Orchestral Brass Orchestral Percussion Orchestral Woodwinds rchestral Strings session drums tension what's new in Live 7
Artist site: http://www.markmoshermusic.com
Host of Sonic Encounters Podcast: http://markmoshermusic.com/podcast/.
Boulder Synthesizer Meetup founder and host: http://www.bouldersynth.com