I just saw that zzounds.com has lowered their price on the Zoom H2 recorder to $179! I have one of these and highly recommend it. It's very inexpensive yet has a great set of features for the price.
Here is a summary of features:
- It weighs 4 ounces.
- 4 mic capsules onboard for
360° recording in a W-X/Y configuration.
- The H2 records on Secure Digital (SD) media and a 512MB SD card is
included. With a 4GB SD memory card, the H2 provides up to 2 hours
recording at 96kHz, 6 hours at 44.1kHz, or up to a staggering 138 hours
in MP3. Store your recordings on a PC or Mac with its USB 2.0 port. And
you can use its time stamping function for reference during production.
- Use the H2 as a USB Mic for recording directly to a computer.
- Comes with earbuds,
an 1/8 inch stereo to RCA cable, a mic clip adapter, tripod stand, USB
cable, an AC adapter and a 512MB SD card.
Here are some thoughts on how you can use this little beast:
- Field recording for found sound
- Record band practice
- Use it as a song writing tool
- Record meetings and notes
- Use it as a USB mic (great for podcasters)
The inclusion of all the accessories and the ability to use this as a USB mic make it this a no brainer buy at this price if you are in the market.
Artist site: http://www.markmoshermusic.com
Host of Sonic Encounters Podcast: http://markmoshermusic.com/podcast/.
Boulder Synthesizer Meetup founder and host: http://www.bouldersynth.com