April 29th saw a lot of news from synth maker’s Camel Audio. I actually waited to post on this because their server got pretty crushed with everyone trying to download all these goodies a few days back.
ALCHEMY 1.20 NOW AVAILABLE
After two man years of work 1.20 is now available. Check out the gorgeous new “Nightshades” skin below (click on the image to see it full size). They also updated the default skin to improve readability.
Here is some of what’s new (link to full change log at bottom of post):
- 64-bit support for Mac and Windows – access unlimited memory
- Native RTAS Support for Pro Tools on Mac and Windows
- Improved SFZ support – high quality loading of 3rd party and converted SFZs
- Key switching for fast access to articulations
- Round robin for added realism
- Unlimited zones for velocity, round robin, key switches…
- Intelligent sample memory handling – half the sample memory required
- Multiple audio file import when holding down 'Shift' with automatic mapping to keys
- Easy SFZ loading via File -> Load
- Last used folder remembered for File -> Load in each instance
I’ve installed it already and I’m happy to report that it’s backwards compatible and seems to work fine on all my sets.
“We're really pleased to announce the release of Alchemy Player 1.20 which is now completely FREEfor everyone! This is a major update to Alchemy Player featuring SFZ loading, 64-bit and Pro Tools RTAS support plus lots more. It includes 1GB samples and 200 instrument sounds.”
STEAMWORX SOUND SET
Last but not least they have also announced a new sound set:
“Steamworxis a cinematic netherworld featuring keyboard instruments made from clocks, drum kits built with steam-powered machines, fog-shrouded soundscapes and gothic choirs. With intricate contraptions, grunge-laden grooves, multi-layered arpeggios and hand-crafted percussion that ooze character and round-robin realism, you will find moods suited to epic soundtrack, delicate ambient, sci-fi, industrial and the supernatural.
This library incorporates over 240MB of new sample content, with specially created instruments, extensive field recordings that add a rich patina of detail, 8-bit SID Chip exotica, plus samplings from an extensive collection of bells, chimes, and gongs…”
I highly recommend Alchemy and consider a must have. It has it has a strong synth engine, great support for a huge variety of sounds, as well as the ability to incorporate your own audio as an oscillator source for re-synthesis, sampling, and granular synthesis. The 1.20 update just ups the ante even more. Just to illustrate the incredible sample manipulation power of Alchemy checkout this audio from “Emits a Photon”. It’s a free patch from Patchlabwhere I mangle the sound of a florescent light being switched on with granular synthesis?
If you can't afford the full version, adding the FREE player to your rig is a no-brainer.
- Official Site
- Camel Audio 1.20: Download & Learn More | Change log
- Camel Audio Free Player
- Steamworx Sound Set
- Other Modulate This Posts on Alchemy
- Free Alchemy Patches
Artist site: http://www.markmoshermusic.com
Host of Sonic Encounters Podcast: http://markmoshermusic.com/podcast/.
Boulder Synthesizer Meetup founder and host: http://www.bouldersynth.com