U-HE ACE is my favorate analog modeled virtual synth and once you “grok”” the cabling you can do amazing things with it. If you find the cabling confusing, checkout my video from last year “U-HE ACE Tutorial: Patch Cables 101” which I’m happy to report is closing in on 12,000 views.
Via a YouTube I got a question from a reader on how to modulate the filter with an envelope so I thought I’d put together a quick step-by-step tutorial. Click the image above to see a larger version to follow along.
- Bump the “r” or release time on the amp envelope to give us more sustain time so we can make room for the filter envelope to work
- Patch a cable from the output socket of ADSR2 to the socket under LFO2. Now the knob for LFO2 turns into a bi-polar gain knob.
- Turn the the gain knob all the way up for maximum modulation from the ADSR
- Turn cutoff to 0 so the filter is 100% controlled by ADSR2
- Turn the “res” up just to make the effect more pronounced
- Adjust the ADSR value to match the screen shot
Tweak to your heart’s desire.
Artist site: http://www.markmoshermusic.com
Host of Sonic Encounters Podcast: http://markmoshermusic.com/podcast/
Boulder Synthesizer Meetup founder and host: http://www.bouldersynth.com