One year ago I announced the 9 Box on Modulate This. The long name for the system is “9 Box is a Method for performance, improvisation, and spontaneous tribal jams with music, sound, and light”. In short, the 9 Box is a casual music instrument based a method and set of template patches for Percussa AudioCubes and Ableton Live.
Below is a photo of the system featuring one of my cats sitting in “Player 4” position. The FX Audio Cube is detecting his position and translating this to “Bit Crushing” strength. As you can see the the system can easily fit in a backpack as it’s basically a computer, a powered hub and 6 AudioCubes (minimum of three cubes is required).
Highlights From the Last Year
- System launched as an open knowledge solution
- Performance test video posted showing a 2:24 system boot with a small demo
- 9 Box AudioCubes Printable Table Top Quick Start V1 Guide is Now Available
- First "9 Box" AudioCubes Edition Installation Underway at Denver Area Adams 12 STEM Magnet Lab School
- Second "9 Box" Social Musical Instrument Install Goes Live in Juneau Alaska!
- 9 Box Featured in AudioCube Jam at Electro-Music 2011
- 9 Box and AudioCubes Featured in Metro Denver STEM School Short Film
- Second metro Denver elementary school selects 9 Box for music lab
- 9 Box AudioCube Jam at Skyline High School in Longmont CO
- 9 Box mentions on Synthtopia | Controllerism.com | Sonic State | Matrix Synth | Rekkerd.org
Here are a few videos showing the system in action.
The system is also being used as the basis for music and science labs in schools. Here is a video the system at the STEM Magnet Lab School at Metro Denver. The Lab is mentioned at 8:13. It’s so exciting for me to see the 9 Box being used to inspire students – especially k-6! Watch embedded video.
Plans for the Next Year
- AudioCube workshop and jam featuring the 9 Box at the Mountain-Skies festival in Asheville, NC
- More videos showing the system used as a DJ system and for coordinated performances
- More videos on how to setup, play, and refill the system
- More refills
- More templates with more FX options for sensor cubes
- More schools, more jams, more music and sound…