In this video, I'm experimenting with using an TNRi on iPad to drive the Sunrizer synth which is running in the background.
I've used the physical Tenori-On W for over two years. I prefer to use it as a controller and run racks for virtual instruments running in Ableton Live or to turn external hardware rather than using it's internal synth engine. So naturally, after getting TNRi for my iPad I wanted to replicate the same idea.
Luckily, certain synths such as the wonderful Sunrizer (http://beepstreet.com/) can remain running in the background allowing you to switch over to a controller app such as TNRi.
This video shows all this in action. Here is the setup:
1) Start Sunrizer and find or create a patch to your liking
2) In the top-right of Sunrizer is a button labelled 'BCK". Click it and it will start blinking yellow.
3) Click the Home button on your iPad
4) Start TNRi
5) Launch the menu by clicking the status window above the play button
6) Select "Preferences Menu" and turn "Local Control" to "Off".
That's it, now all the MIDI gets pumped through to the background app.