Well kids – 64-bit is finally on horizon for Ableton Live!
We are pleased to announce the beta version of Live 8.4, featuring native 64-bit support. With 64-bit support, Sets in Live 8 can now accommodate much larger memory usage, and third-party plugins that support 64-bit. Registered Live 8, Suite 8, Live Intro or Live Lite 8 users can download the beta now.
The 64-bit version of Live works with PCs running Windows Vista/7/8 (64-bit) and with Intel-Macs running OS X 10.5 and up. The 64-bit version of Live 8 does not support Max for Live, video, or The Bridge. We are currently working with our partners to add support for these features.
The release version of Live 8.4 will be available later, as a free update for registered Live 8, Suite 8, Live Intro or Live Lite 8 users.
A few key notes about this that I’ve pulled from the web site:
- 64-bit version of Live can use a theoretical maximum of 16 exabytes of RAM – much more RAM than computers actually have.
- You can use the 64-bit version of Live if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, or Mac OS 10.5 or higher on an Intel-based Mac.
- The 64-bit version of Live 8 will not support Max for Live, video, or The Bridge. We are currently working with our partners to add support for these features.
- All 64-bit plug-ins can be used in the 64-bit version. 32-bit plug-ins cannot be used directly in the 64-bit version, but there are third-party tools (such as jBridge) that will allow 32-bit VST plug-ins to be used within the 64-bit version.
- You can have 32-bit and 64-bit Version installed at the same time.
- Live documents made in 32-bit versions of Live will work properly in the 64-bit version of Live, and vice versa. If the Live Sets use features which are not available in the 64-bit version, those features will be limited or disabled as described below:
- Max for Live – the Live document will load and play, but the Max devices will behave as if they were bypassed.
- Video – the Live document will load and play but clips containing video will behave as if the referenced video file is missing.
- Plug-ins – Live documents that were created using 32-bit versions of plug-ins will work normally, but only if 64-bit versions of the same plug-ins are installed.
Let me know how you get along with it.
Artist site: http://www.markmoshermusic.com
Host of Sonic Encounters Podcast: http://markmoshermusic.com/podcast/
Boulder Synthesizer Meetup founder and host: http://www.bouldersynth.com