In a previous post I mentioned the use of stand-alone FX versions of synths like Zebrify, Absynth FX, and Predator FX as effects processors. Here is a tip for you Absynth FX fans who are using Ableton Live and want to process the output of a another virtual MIDI instrument and then trigger envelopes in Absynth FX.
MIDI Won’t Pass Through By Default
If you drop Absynth FX into a MIDI track that already has a synth in it – say ZebraHZ – the audio will be processed as you’d expect via the patch settings. MIDI notes however are not passed through to Absynth FX which means the envelopes won’t be triggered.
Ableton Routing to the Rescue
- Drop Absynth FX into '”A Return”
- Route the ZebraHZ audio to with the “Send A” knob. I set the track to “Sends Only” so I only hear audio routed through Absynth FX.
- Create a MIDI Track in Live and route the MIDI to “A Absynth 5 FX” return. (Click the image above to see the screen shot full screen).
- At this point you can arm both the MIDI Track and the ZebraHZ track and play in real-time and notes will go to Absynth FX as well. Instead, I created a MIDI clip with a note pattern that repeats and…
- triggers the Absynth FX Envelope while I’m playing different notes in ZebraHZ.
Ok, give it a go and expect crazy and interesting results from the most epic Absynth FX and monster envelopes implementation.
Ableton Live Effects Plugins Synth: Absynth Synth: Zebra 2.x ableton live routing absynth as an effects process absynth5 fx boulder Denver how to trigger envelopes mark mosher midi control envelopes absynth synthesist
Artist site: http://www.markmoshermusic.com
Host of Sonic Encounters Podcast: http://markmoshermusic.com/podcast/.
Boulder Synthesizer Meetup founder and host: http://www.bouldersynth.com