The Tech Museum of Innovation in San Jose has kicked off a 6-month exhibit called REBOOT:music. The exhibit includes the latest version Tim Thompson’s Kinect-based Space Palette which is a musical and graphical instrument that lets you play music and paint visuals simultaneously by waving your hands in the holes of a wood frame.
Here is a video of Tim explaining the instrument.
It’s great to see how far Tim has taken the Space Palette since I first interviewed him back in 2011 on his work in this area.
In all there are 16 installations at this exhibit.
Unleash your inner music-maker at The Tech’s new exhibition, here for a limited engagement March 7 – August 17, 2014. Explore what it means to make music in the digital age. Interact, and inspire your creative spirit with the help of more than a dozen imaginative new musical instruments.
- 16 installations by renowned artists that allow you to collaborate and explore the boundaries of music making.
- Red Hot and Sympathetic Resonance, two large-scale, electro-acoustic experiences bring a technological twist to familiar acoustic instruments.
- The multi-player ConnecTable invites spontaneous jam sessions with friends and strangers alike – no rehearsal necessary!
- The Space Palette puts futuristic soundscapes at participants’ fingertips – literally.
- Stepping Tones’ immersive projection mapped environment lets participants create and visualize beats by hand.
- The Laser Harp Alembic surrounds visitors with an orchestra of sounds, each just a pluck of the air away.
- …and many more.
In addition to the installations, the museum will host talks and workshops from artists, musicians, instrument builders, and creative tech luminaries to provide opportunities for deeper exploration and hands-on learning. And, for guests over 21, two evening concert events will bring together the best cutting-edge live music performers from all over the world. Stay tuned for details.
For more details on Tim’s work as well as links to more videos of the Space Palette in action visit Tim’s Official Space Palette Site . For more information on this exhibit, visit the REBOOT: Music Web Page.
<<< Checkout my new album Fear Cannot Save Us
Artist site: http://www.markmoshermusic.com
Host of Sonic Encounters Podcast: http://markmoshermusic.com/podcast/.
Boulder Synthesizer Meetup founder and host: http://www.bouldersynth.com