Madelife, a creative accelerator in Boulder and frequent host venue for the Rocky Mountain Synthesizer Meetup, started hosting a very cool electronic music concert series late in 2017 called Beat Cypher. Each performer gets a 10-minute slot and signs up first come first serve. It’s Rapid-fire fun for performers and listeners!
It’s now a recurring event happening the fourth Thursday of each month. I’ll be heading down tonight to do a set using only my Elektron Octatrack.
How it Works
Come down to madelife for an evening of music and friends! ALL STYLES WELCOME. The madelife Beat Cypher is all about bringing local music producers/performers together to share their talent with each other and the community.
1. Bring a portable setup for live performance. There will be plenty of table space and power.
2. There is a sign-up sheet (FIRST COME FIRST SERVE). Each person get’s a 10-minute slot.
Join the madelife Beat Cypher Group (http://bit.ly/2mPG59d) for photo/video uploads, Beat Cypher News, and updates!
Video from My Last Performance Using Only Elektron Analog Four
Here is a 7 minute performance from madelife Beat Cypher #2.Audio is from GoPro. Beat Cypher is kind of like an open mic with micro-sets which necessitates small rigs and groove boxes. It’s super fun.
I challenged myself to do my set with just an Elektron Analog Four. The Analog Four has 4 analog synths, is only 4 note polyphonic in total and has chorus, delay and reverb on the master chain.
The performance is a combination of original presets, tweaked factory presets, live playing using the onboard chromatic keyboard, real-time sound design, use of some pre-defined original sequences with live arrangement and live sequencing. I’m using 4 kits” throughout (which you can switch to with no load-time or hickups). So all synthesis, no samples, no audio playback.
- 00:00 Real-time synthesis with original preset
- 00:34 Live arrangement with grooves, live-sound design, live play on chromatic keyboard
- 4:00 Back to real-time synthesis using chromatic keyboard
- 05:00 Things get pretty Logan’s Run bleepy and modular-like
- 06:25 Freeze with the amazing on-board reverb